Looking for a great power salad that will fill you up and energize you all day? Try out this protein rich recipe hand-selected by FIX staff.
Yields: 4 Servings, about 2 cups each
Time: 25 min
- 1 clove(s) (medium) garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- 5 tablespoon(s) extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 tablespoon(s) fresh orange juice, plus more to taste
- 1/4 cup(s) white-wine vinegar or red-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon(s) Dijon mustard
- 1 can(s) (15-ounce) cannellini or other white beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 1/2 cup(s) diced cooked chicken breast (see Tip)
- 2 cup(s) (about 2 small) diced zucchini and/or summer squash
- 1 1/2 cup(s) diced celery
- 1/4 cup(s) finely diced ricotta salata, halloumi (see Shopping Tip) or feta cheese
- 1/3 cup(s) chopped, well-drained, oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes (optional)
- 1 cup(s) coarsely chopped fresh basil, plus whole basil leaves for garnish
- Salt, to taste, optional
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste, optional
- 2 cup(s) torn escarole or romaine lettuce
- 2 cup(s) torn radicchio leaves
Tips & Techniques
- To prepare vinaigrette: Peel the garlic and smash with the side of a chef’s knife. Using a fork, mash the garlic with 1/4 teaspoon salt in a small bowl to form a coarse paste. Whisk in 5 tablespoons oil. Add 6 tablespoons orange juice, vinegar, and mustard; whisk until well blended. Taste and whisk in up to 4 tablespoons more juice to mellow the flavor; season with more salt, if desired. Set aside at room temperature.
- To prepare salad: Combine beans, chicken, zucchini (and/or summer squash), celery, cheese, and sun-dried tomatoes (if using) in a large bowl until well blended. Add chopped basil and 3/4 cup vinaigrette; toss until combined. Taste and season with salt and/or pepper, if desired.
- Toss the remaining vinaigrette with escarole (or romaine) and radicchio in a medium bowl. Serve the salad on the greens, garnished with fresh basil leaves.
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetable, 4 lean meat, 3 fat. Carbohydrate Servings: 1. Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (47% daily value), Vitamin A (30% dv), Folate (21% dv), Potassium (18% dv).
To poach chicken breasts, place about 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a medium skillet or saucepan. Add lightly salted water to cover and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer gently until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, 10 to 15 minutes.
Ricotta salata and halloumi are both firm, salted cheeses that can be found at large supermarkets and cheese shops.